'Oddities' - Slide 2
Can you run X, Gnome, KDE (or X, KDE, Gnome) ?
- Yes, but it doesn’t make much sense
- An X server manages the local monitor, keyboard, mouse, which is on your local workstation, not the S/390
- Running KDE or Gnome on an S/390 is not a good use of an S/390
- X clients can run on an S/390, but that may or not be a good thing to do.
- IEEE Floating Point Unit will improve performance.
There are far fewer kernel options to worry about.
No support needed for a LOT of hardware types.
Copyright 2001 by Mark Post