General Rules of Thumb to start out with...
- Amount of consolidation dependent upon...
- Vintage of hardware being consolidated
- Number of idle backup hardware and software servers
- Utilization across active servers
- LSPR "mixed workload" ratio is good place to start for planning within architecture
- LPAR Linux images are minimum of 64MBs
- VM or VIF allocations should be at least 128 MBs central plus expanded
- Lightly used guest can be trimmed down to less than 4-6 MBs
- Active guest dependent upon application
- Highly active webserver upto 150 MBs
- Heavily dependent upon application characteristics
- Idle guest execute 1-2 I/Os per second for housekeeping